Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mr. Sleepy

Most mornings I'm rushing.  I think it's in my blood to rush.  I can't seem to overcome my habit of hitting the snooze button for that one last little cuddle with my warm blanket and soft pillow in the early morning hours.

So though I could improve on my snooze button habits, my routine still seems to work out for the best.  It's as if I become more awakened by the adrenaline that comes from quite possibly being late for work--I transform into something similar to the Road Runner, but only after I accomplish the feat of putting my feet on the ground.

I scurry down the several steps that lay between my bedroom and the kitchen, just in time to grab my coffee and a quick piece of peanut butter toast (my favorite).

Lately, however, my morning routine has also included one very sleepy little 5 year old.  He's the youngest of the family of four children that I've been living with since August.  He always wakes up bright and early with his three older siblings, even though his preschool class doesn't start until well after the older crew has left on the bus.

It's a feeling to which I can relate.   Being the youngest of four myself, I remember the thought of missing out on what everyone else was up to being hard to take at times.  Which often meant for my parents having to put me to bed multiple times.... I truly remember laying awake after being all tucked in, and wondering what everyone else was up to.  Are they really just finishing up their homework?  I bet they're actually doing something cooler than that...  Maybe Mom and Dad will let me lay by them while they watch the news....  These are thoughts I remember having as I resisted the urge to go to sleep--I wanted to hang out with every one else!

For Scott (the youngest), not wanting to miss out on the action means he comes out of his room in the morning with his blanket and pillow, just so he can lay in the kitchen while everyone gets ready for their day--not missing a thing! : )


...As I continue my morning scurrying, I almost always can't help but stop and smile at the adorable sight of this messy haired, shirtless, often cereal shoveling, little guy. 

He's always about half awake when we first see each other and one of his favorite cartoons is usually playing on the distant living room television.  His siblings have just left for the bus and his Mom has gone out to the front step to chat with the neighbors and watch the bus take off.

Scott gives me the biggest grin through his sleepiness and then carries on with his own morning routine.

Our conversation usually goes a little something like this:

Me: "Good Morning, Scootie."  (his nickname)

Scott: "Good."

Me: "How did you sleep, bud?"

Scott: "Yeah."

....a little pause as I search for the coffeemate and peanut butter, while not being phased by his distracted answers...

Me: "Well I hope you have a good day at school today, Scoot!"

Scott: "Yeah, good."

Me: "Ok, talk to you later, gotta run!"

Scott: "K" (he smiles--not looking away from his show)

...even though I know he doesn't really hear what I'm saying, I have come to love our little morning "chat".  He makes me smile just by being himself, the guy I like to call, "Mr. Sleepy".

No comments:

Post a Comment